Blueberry Jelly (no pectin)

This recipe may be modified in future.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup (100 g or 3.5 oz.) blueberries, fresh and washed or frozen
  • 6 tbsp. (72 g or 2.5 oz.) sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice

Differences of blueberry and sugar ratio in American recipes and Japanese recipes is stunning if I don't mess up in calculation ...

Americans add 150-170 % of sugar in weight to blueberry, while Japanese add 30-50% of sugar. I tried 3:4 then 1:1, but it is still sweet to me. I will try about 4:3 next time, and recipe above is written based on that.


Directions


  1. Put the blueberries in a small pot on the stove over low heat, stir often enough to prevent burning.
  2. Bring up heat to medium high once blueberry juice is released from the blueberries, stirring consistently for 15 minutes.
  3. Add sugar and lemon juice.
  4. Continue to boil until it gets desired consistency.
  5. Place in canning jar or similar while still hot.  Remember, the jelly solidifies when cooled.